With all the millions of tasks you’ve got going on, it’s difficult to find the time to sit down and work out how you’re going to save money on your shopping bill. Well, this is where Five for a Fiver comes to play! Follow the steps below and the bonus tips on how to keep saving.
- Read about How to get confident in your own kitchen to encourage you to start cooking in your own kitchen
- Read about how to save money on your shopping bill by buying in season
- Print out Five for a Fiver’s UK Food Seasonal Calendar, put it on your fridge and start meal planning your recipes. Buying in season automatically reduces your bill and increases health too!
5 Tips for being savvy with your food
- Never shop when you’re hungry otherwise, you will want to buy every item in the shop.
- Don’t go for pre-packaged items, like salad bags or ready meals. They may be convenient, but you’re paying more for less quantity in the long run. Not only do you have control over what goes into the fresh food you make, but you also get more bang for your buck, meaning, you will pay less and still get more.
- Wherever possible, grow your own food. Start off with the basic herbs like basil, rosemary, mint and thyme and then fruit and vegetables like potatoes and tomatoes. There are tons of resources on the net about how to develop green fingers. I think the BBC’s ‘Dig In’ guide is a particularly good place to start.
- Meal plan effectively, so you have a recipe for every meal, every day. Start by buying food in season (you can use Five for a Fiver’s Seasonal Calendar as a start and then plan your recipes around the foods in season)
- Use up the leftovers to make other meals, so you don’t waste any food. I love Love Food Hate Waste’s article on how to save money and reduce food waste.
Now head over to the Recipes page and start cooking up a storm! Don’t forget to share your photos on social media, using the hashtags #fiverfoodies and #fiveforafiver, I’d love to see what you come up with too! Come say hi here: